Today’s Heardle answer is an easy one if you’re of a certain age or into a particular kind of music – but could be tricky otherwise. If you play Heardle, you’ll know what I mean.
Haven’t played the game before? It’s one of the best Wordle alternatives and clones, but rather than making you guess five-letter words, it gives you six chances to identify a song from a 15-second intro. Heardle pulls its playlist from the most popular streamed tracks on a range of platforms, so you don’t need to be a huge music buff to stand a chance of getting a good score.
Still, it can be surprisingly tricky to guess the name of a song just from the intro. That’s where we come in – we’re keeping track of the answers from past Heardle games, and we’ll give you hints for today’s Heardle answer if you’re stumped.
Plus, if you just want to know the solution to today’s Heardle, you’ll find that here, too. No judgment from us.
Warning: spoilers lie ahead for Heardle # 89, so only read on if you want to know today’s Heardle answer!
Today’s Heardle hints, Wednesday, May 25
Before we reveal today’s answer, here are a few hints that should help you if you’re stuck.
- This song was a huge late 90s hit
- This group’s first live performance was at SeaWorld Orlando, in 1993
- This song charted at # 1 in 25 countries
Need a bigger hint? Detective Jake Peralta and a lineup of criminal suspects performed a rendition of this song in an episode of Brooklyn 99.
Alright, that’s the hints done with – time for the solution.
Today’s Heardle answer, Wednesday, May 25
So, what is today’s Heardle answer?
The answer is I Want It That Way by the Backstreet Boys.
Did you get it? If Heardle’s 30-second clip wasn’t enough for you, check out the full song here:
Well done if you got the right answer!
I saw lots of users correctly identify this song after hearing just one second of it today on Twitter. Chalk it up to Twitter’s demographic of millennials, or the iconic status of this chart-topping hit.
Despite failing yesterday’s Heardle, I made a comeback today and got the right answer on my first try. In fact, it was all I could do to stop myself wailing out the lyrics to the chorus as soon as I heard the opening guitar riff. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to blow the dust off my Backstreet Boys CDs and enjoy their music as nature intended.
Previous Heardle answers
If you’re looking for a list of older Heardle answers, we can also help. Here’s a list going back 20 games.
- # 88, May 24: Bob Dylan – Like A Rolling Stone
- # 87, May 23: Alicia Keys – If I Ain’t Got You
- # 86, May 22: Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
- # 87, May 21: The Notorious BIG – Juicy
- # 84, May 20: Justin Timberlake – Like I Love You
- # 83, May 19: Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball
- # 82, May 18: Deep Purple – Smoke on Water
- # 81, May 17: George Michael – Freedom ’90
- # 80, May 16: Wild Cherry – Play That Funky Music
- # 79, May 15: Paul Simon – You Can Call Me AL
- # 78, May 14: Toploader – Dancing in the Moonlight
- # 76, May 12: a-Ha – Take On Me
- # 75, May 11: Santa – Maria Maria (ft. The Product G&B)
- # 74, May 10: Blue Oyster Cult – (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
- # 73, May 9: Jamiroquai – Virtual Insanity
- # 72, May 8: Kate Bush – This Woman’s Work
- # 71, May 7: Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Want to Have Fun
- # 70, May 6: Stardust – Music Sounds Better With You
- # 69, May 5: TLC – No Scrubs
- # 68, May 4: Ed Sheeran – Shivers