No. 17 TEXAS TECH vs. NEW MEXICO
March 15-16, 2022
Texas Tech Game Notes (PDF) | New Mexico Game Notes (PDF)
Texas Tech is back at Rip Griffin Park on Tuesday for its first home game since Sunday, March 6, following a seven-day, five-game road trip that ended with the Red Raiders going 4-1 – splitting two games versus Mississippi State ( in Biloxi) and sweeping Rice. Tech now puts its unblemished 8-0 home record to the test against New Mexico as they visit for a pair of games on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Red Raiders return to the road for a weekend series at Iowa to complete a stretch of eight of 10 games away from home.
Chris Slyvester (Tuesday) and Daniel Gillman (Wednesday) will call the game, and Mike Gustafson will provide color commentary from inside Rip Griffin Park as coverage will be provided via Big 12 Now on ESPN +. The broadcast can be accessed from any desktop or laptop computer, any personal cellular device and television streaming services using the ESPN app. Registration for the subscription service can be found at ESPNPlus.com.
The Texas Tech Sports Network will also broadcast the game over 46 affiliates throughout the state of Texas and New Mexico as Jamie Lent will have the call alongside analyst, Texas Tech baseball alum, Cam Warren.
TEXAS TECH IN THE NATIONAL RANKINGS
- D1Baseball: No. 17
- Baseball America: 23
- NCBWA: No. 15
- Baseball Collegiate: No. 17
- USA Coaches: No. 13
- Perfect Game: No. 14
PROJECTED PITCHING MATCHUPS
- Tuesday, March 15: RHP Chase Hampton (5.79 ERA, 1-1) vs. RHP Miguel Reyes Jr. (6.75 ERA, 1-2)
- Wednesday, March 16: RHP Austin Becker (6.75 ERA, 1-0) vs. LHP Matt Haley (5.79 ERA, 0-0)
BIG 12 PLAYER OF THE WEEK / NEWCOMER OF THE WEEK AWARDS RESIDE AT TEXAS TECH
For the third week in a row, a Texas Tech baseball player has been honored with a weekly award from the Big 12 Conference. On Monday, the league announced Brandon Birdsell was selected as the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week for games played March 7-13. Birdsell tossed a career game on Saturday at Rice, striking out 15 batters in a six-inning no-hitter. His final line was 6.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 15 K & 0 BB. Birdsell joins previous Big 12 of the week award winners Parker Kelly (Player of the Week, March 7), Owen Washburn (Newcomer of the Week, March 7) and Ty Coleman (Player of the Week / Newcomer of the Week, Feb. 28 ).
SCOUTING – NEW MEXICO
- New Mexico is 6-9 through 15 games this season, and unlike Texas Tech, has already played six (Mountain West) conference games.
- New Mexico is 1-7 in games away from its home ballpark.
- The Lobos last weekend series was a conference tilt against Fresno State at home and were winners of two-of-three.
- Texas Tech and New Mexico share an early season opponent in common in Arizona. The Wildcats defeated the Lobos 12-5 in Tucson on March 8.
- Texas Tech is one of three Power 5 programs New Mexico will test itself against this year. UNM faced off against Oregon State twice in the Sanderson Ford College Baseball Classic in Surprise, Ariz. to kick off the season (L, 21-1 / L, 13-3). UNM will host Arizona on March 23 in addition to the game already played this year.
- Mountain West head coaches tabbed New Mexico to finish sixth out of seven teams in their annual preseason poll. Nevada was picked to finish first, followed by UNLV, San Diego State, Fresno State, Air Force, New Mexico, and San Jose State.
- Pitcher Tristin Lively represented New Mexico on the Mountain West Preseason All-Conference Team.
- New Mexico is led by first-year head coach Tod Brown. He was named the 12th head baseball coach at New Mexico on June 17, 2021, replacing Ray Birmingham who retired after leading the Lobos over the previous 14 seasons.
The Texas Tech-New Mexico series is one that has a long history as they will play for the 124th and 125th times this week. The two might be separated by a time zone, but it is just a little bit longer than a five-hour drive between each team’s respective ballparks. The proximity allowed the two programs to get together for at least one game every year from 1998-2019. The Red Raiders own a 75-47-1 all-time advantage over the Lobos, and a 47-20 mark in home games as the series leans heavily toward games played in Lubbock. In 2022, Texas Tech will return the two-midweek games in Lubbock this week for a pair in Albuquerque on April 18 and 19.
- Texas Tech has won 13 of its last 14 games this season.
- The Red Raiders are 8-0 at home this season.
- At 14-3, Texas Tech matches its start to the 2021 season.
- Texas Tech lost for the first time this season when scoring first last Tuesday against Mississippi State. Tech is 10-1 this season when scoring first.
- Tech is 14-1 when scoring three runs or better.
- Texas Tech has surged in the fifth and sixth innings offensively this season scoring 29 runs in each. The fourth inning is the least productive, as the Red Raiders have scored five runs in a total of 17 games.
- Texas Tech is 9-1 this season when having at least one home run.
- Parker Kelly is the first Red Raider to own three Grand Slams in the same season since Cameron Blair achieved the feat in both 2004 and 2005.
- Brandon Birdsell’s 15 strikeouts against Rice on March 12 were the most by a Red Raider since Bobby Doran’s 16 versus Missouri on May 1, 2010.